Results within the REWARD project
The results within the REWARD project have been divided in 8 different categories, please click the category to view the available reports.
Most of the reports are confidential (CO), in those cases only a public summary is available, which can be quite short.
- Project Management, technical coordination and administration
- Advanced aftertreatment technologies development
- Technologies for high efficiency
- Future 2-stroke Diesel engine architecture for B/C class vehicles
- Future 4-stroke B/C class Diesel engine
- Future 4-stroke D/E class Diesel engine
- Assessment and evaluation
- Characterization and numerical simulations
1. Project Management, technical coordination and administration
2. Advanced aftertreatment technologies development
- D2.1 New advanced catalyst formulation and systems by JM (CO)
The deliverable will describe the new formulations and characteristics of the catalysts developed and tested within the
WP2 and supplied to Renault and Volvo engines.
- D2.2 SCRF experimental investigations,including regeneration by CTH (CO)
The report will describe the results of the experimental activity at laboratory level concerning the SCR activity
analyzing the ammonia storage and oxidation and the interaction with the soot regeneration strategies.
- D2.3 SCRF model, including regeneration by CTH (CO)
The report will describe the simulation model concerning the SCR behaviour taking into account the experimental
results described in D2.1
- D2.4 Vehicle, engine and aftertreatment system simulation by RIC (CO)
The report will describe the simulation model developed aiming to predict the integration of the aftertreatment
behaviour together with the engine and vehicle parameters with regards to emissions on the NEDC/WLTP.
- D2.5 Exhaust thermal management simulation by RIC (CO)
The report will describe the simulation approach and the analysis of the VVT operations on the aftertreatment
conversion efficiency through the exhaust thermal management for both NSC and SCR systems.
- D2.6 Exhaust thermal management experimental results by RIC (CO)
The report will describe the results of the experimental activity carried out on the multicylinder engine with regard to
the aftertreatment system optimization, including the contribution of the VVT system.
- D2.7 Engine test dyno assessment by CNR (CO)
The report will describe the engine calibration methodology and the experimental results issued from the updated
version of the multicylinder engine with regard to efficiency, temperatures and pollutant maps.
- D2.8 Global assessment of demonstrator vehicle by CRF (CO)
The report will describe the experimental results issued on the prototype vehicle to assess the performance of the new
aftertreatment technologies with regard to homologation and RDE testing conditions.
- D2.9 Prototype vehicle available by CRF (CO)
The report will assess the availability (as milestone) of the prototype vehicle aimed to perform the activities described
3. Technologies for high efficiency
- D3.1 Coating Requirements by SCF (CO)
Product concept catalogue of the coating system based on model investigations.
- D3.2 Sheets of tribological thin coatings by SCF (CO)
Product concept catalogue of the coating system for the respective application.
- D3.3 Identification of optimal pretreatment for valve train by SCF (CO)
Supply of parts with optimized surface properties for coating.
- D3.4 Best tailored coatings for valve train and bearing compononents by SCF (CO)
Best coating process for the respective application.
- D3.5 Prediction modell for coated valve train and bearing components by SCF (CO)
Indentification of ideal prediction model for friction and wear.
- D3.6 Assessment of low friction solutions in complete valve-train system by SCF (CO)
Clarification of transferability of the current development to the application.
- D3.7 Optimization of coating processes for mass production by SCF (CO)
Scale-up scenario of coating process for mass production.
- D3.8 Supply of valvetrain and bearings components (prototypes) by SCF (CO)
Coated prototype parts for the demonstrator engines of WP4 and WP3.
- D3.9 Prediction method for friction by SCF (CO)
Expert system based on availabe data-base.
- D3.10 Assessment and demonstration of friction reduction by ViF (PU)
Experimental data from the ViF friction tests were analyzed with a focus on friction reduction of the complete engine.
The friction reduction potential of low-viscosity and ultra-low viscosity oil were demonstrated. 1 Publication in
IMechE, SAE or similar.
- D3.11 Wear risk analysis of engine components by ViF (CO)
In the heavy downsized engine, components with high risks of metal-metal contact and wear were localized and
assessed. Measures to reduce wear were developed.
- D3.12 Complete engine friction test by ViF (CO)
The engine friction tests were conducted on the VIF friction test rig for different lubricants including ultra low
viscosity engine oil. Measurement results are available for further assessment.
- D3.13 Experimental and numerical investigations on optical engine by CNR (CO)
Characterization of the spray and injection features of the advanced fuel injection system and evaluation of 3D CFD
- D3.14 Combustion system specifications by IFPEN (CO)
Design for high engine efficiency combustion system by 3D CFD simulation.
- D3.15 Technologies integration assessment and engine calibration by CNR (CO)
The report will describe the upgrading of the engine with the low friction parts and the experimental results on
multicylinder engine in terms of efficiency, pollutants and combustion noise.
- D3.16 Updated base engine HW available by CNR (CO)
The report will assess the availability of the updated prototype engine to perform the activities described in D3.15.
4. Future 2-stroke Diesel engine architecture for B/C class vehicles
- D4.1 Baseline hardware definition of intake ports, exhaust, valve lift and ports, and combustion system by IFPEN (CO)
The deliverable is a document describing the baseline hardware definition of intake ports, exhaust valve lift and ports,
and combustion system
- D4.2 Air loop performances by CTU (CO)
This deliverable is a document describing the air loop performances: optimized lay-out structure, pressure, mass-flow
rate and temperature traces at cylinder port head inlet/outlet for using as boundary conditions necessary for 3-D CFD
calculations of aerodynamics and combustion (Task 4.1).
- D4.3 Single cylinder 2-stroke Diesel engine functional prototype by REN (CO)
The deliverable is a single cylinder 2-stroke Diesel engine functional prototype
- D4.4 Scavenging architecture definition by UPVLC (CO)
The deliverable is a document describing the scavenging architecture defining the optimum air management related
engine hardware (intake port geometries and exhaust camshaft definitions and settings (exhaust VVT timing, intake/
exhaust pressures, EGR rates…), starting from the base configuration defined in Task 4.1.
- D4.5 Experimental characterization of engine operating points by IFPEN (CO)
The deliverable is a document containing the experimental characterisation activities for the optimization of the
engine operating parameters to achieve the best trade-off between emissions and fuel consumption with regard to a B/
C class vehicle application
- D4.6 CO2 emission performanceestimation on NEDC and WLTC by CTU (CO)
The deliverable will describe the CO2 emission performance estimation on NEDC and WLTC for 2-stroke Diesel
engine B/C class application
5. Future 4-stroke B/C class Diesel engine
- D5.1 Specification, design and procurement of prototype engines by AVL (CO)
Layout and specifications of complete engine and aftertreatment system. Procurement of all test parts. Definition of
- D5.2 AMESim based SIL platform with a validated air/EGR path by IFPEN (CO)
Documentation of AMESim based SIL platform with air/EGR path.
- D5.3 Low-NOX engine combustion concept by AVL (CO)
Engine performance and emissions development on engine test bed supported by simulation. Calibration of engine
with regard to RDE requirements. Evaluation of new sensor applications.
- D5.4 AMESim based SIL platform with a validated combustion system by IFPEN (CO)
Documentation of AMESim based SIL platform with new combustion system.
- D5.5 Evaluation of new non-urea aftertreatment concepts for RDE by AVL (CO)
Adaptation of non-urea aftertreatment concepts, experimental evaluation of catalysts and system configurations,
optimum operating and purging strategies.
- D5.6 Report explaining the transient issues in the RDE context by IFPEN (CO)
Report explaining the transient issues in the RDE context and the gains provided by the advanced control algorithms
compared to the baseline strategies (Simulation and experimental results).
- D5.7 Implementation of control algorithms in the engine ECU by IFPEN (CO)
Documentation of implemented control algorithms.
- D5.8 Results obtained with advanced control algorithms by IFPEN (CO)
Documentation of simulated and experimental results obtained with the advanced control algorithms.
- D5.9 Implementation of OBD and control algorithms in the engine ECU by IFPEN (CO)
Documentation of Implemented OBD and control algorithms in the engine ECU.
- D5.10 Report on final validator vehicle and documentation of achievements by AVL (CO)
Documentation of demonstrator vehicle, engine, aftertreatment system, principles of emission control concept, test
results from chassis dynamometer and on-road tests.
6. Future 4-stroke D/E class Diesel engine
- D6.1 Defined proposals for the turbochargers and charge air coolers by AVL (CO)
To make a definition about the turbocharger layout and specification. The aerodynamic properties should be specified
for the compressor and the turbine. The charge air coolers should be specified according to a layout and properties.
- D6.2 Defined proposals for EGR layout and components by AVL (CO)
The EGR system will be specified according to layout and specifications of its ingoing components.
- D6.3 Combustion system ready to implement in a multi cylinder engine by AVL (CO)
A new combustion system shall be developed with reduced swirl and compression ratio. The deliverable will be a
complete specification of the combustion system ready for implementation in a multi cylinder engine.
- D6.4 Defined proposals for the EATS components by VCC (CO)
A complete Exhaust After Treatment System shall be specified and developed with its ingoing components ready for
implementation in a test vehicle.
- D6.5 Deliver partload maps and fulload test results by VCC (CO)
Final test results from multi cylinder development and calibration. The results should be presented as fulload and
- D6.6 Demonstrate fuel consumption and emissions by VCC (CO)
The test vehicle will be run in a test cell to demonstrate the fuel consumption and emission targets. The deliverables
will be the results from these tests.
7. Assessment and evaluation
- D7.1 Baseline for fuel consumption and emission by ViF (CO)
Reference state-of the art vehicles for all investigated classes will be defined. Their fuel consumption and emission
will serve as a reference for the project success.
- D7.2 Baseline for cost by ViF (CO)
The cost of reference state of the art vehicles will be defined.
- D7.3 Interim Report for emission assessment by ViF (CO)
An interim report of the emission of the technologies developed at REWARD and their performance compared to the
baseline vehicles will be delivered.
- D7.4 Interim Report for cost assessment by ViF (CO)
An interim report of the cost of the technologies developed at REWARD and their performance compared to the
baseline vehicles will be delivered.
- D7.5 Final Report for assessment of costs and emissions by ViF (CO)
Final report discussing the developed technologies compared to the baseline vehicles will be delivered.
8. Dissemination and exploitation
- D8.1 Project website, including Project templates by UNR (CO)
The website will be designed, and a graphical project identity will be composed of visual elements that aim to
represent the project. The graphical identity will include logo, fonts, colours and templates for presentations and text
documents. effort for the members of the consortium.
- D8.2 Dissemination plan, final by UNR (CO)
The Dissemination Plan will be prepared in order to maximise the potential impact of the project results. In there
specific target groups and related specific dissemination activities will be presented.
- D8.3 Summary book of all publications by UNR (PU)
the deliverable will contain a list (database) of publication of articles in national and international professional
magazines and other project-related paper.
- D8.4 Final event report by UNR (CO)
In order to wrap up the work done during the proejct and present the final findings to a wider audience a final event
will be organised. This deliverable will report on the organisation and outcome of this event.
- D8.5 Draft Exploitation Plan by AVL (CO)
This document will report on the draft Exploitation Plan. The plan will include the following elements: – Main
objectives and Responsibilities – Target groups and Key actors – Levels of exploitation and Exploitable components –
Communication channels and tools.
- D8.6 Final Exploitation Plan by AVL (CO)
The draft Exploitation Plan will be updated according to the market developments and identification of potential users
of the results.
- D8.7 Report on Clustering and liasing with other RDI proejcts by AVL (PU)
This document will report on the activities performed with the aim of clustering and liaising is to strengthen the field
of research of REWARD and to link it to other relevant RDI projects.